I think we're at our best by the flicker by the light of the TV set.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Excerpt

"I was running for my life. As fast as my legs could carry me. Tree branches grabbed at me, scraping my arms, tearing my clothes as I flew through the woods, searching for a hiding place. Whoever I was with earlier had disappeared now. They had most likely been attacked and was now one of them. The zombies. They were everywhere. I could hear screams, distant cries for help. It was no use. Was there anywhere to hide?

I spotted a house up ahead and ran faster than I thought possible. The wind in my hair, sweat dripping down my spine, darkness all around me. I prayed they couldn't see me, wherever they were. Prayed that I was faster than them. That I could reach the house before they reached me.

I entered a clearing and found myself pacing down a long driveway heading towards the house. As I was approaching my safety, I heard a voice. Loud and clear. Right behind me. He called my name. He wasn't running, didn't sound scared. I knew deep down that he was one of them. A zombie just like the rest. Why else would he stop in the middle of a clearing where they could so easily get him? I knew he wanted to attack me, wanted to steal my soul and turn me into one of them.

I knew all of this, but still I stopped running. Trying to catch my breath, I stood in the driveway ahead of him, not yet daring to turn around and face him. I knew who he was, what he was. Knew what he wanted. And there I was, ready and willing to give him all of me. I couldn't resist. That's how it has always been.

And then I woke up."

No comments:

Post a Comment