I think we're at our best by the flicker by the light of the TV set.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Suburbia

Sometimes I enjoy my return to small-town life. Sometimes I feel like this:

"Suburban living is an utter mystery. I can't believe intelligent people set themselves up for a lifetime of that kind of inertia. I got to Richmond already longing for my books and movies and favorite coffee shops, and the next thing you know I was functionally catatonic. Good coffee and meaningful conversation don't exist there. No one reads. The movies suck. Nothing is in walking distance and there aren't any sidewalks anyway...There's something soporific about the manicured lawns and pots of skunk cabbage. Sweet Williams around the mailbox posts do to me what the poppy fields did to Dorothy. In the suburbs it's so easy to live easily, and so hard to live interestingly."
-Karin Goodwin, Sleeping with Random Beasts


New York, I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment