I think we're at our best by the flicker by the light of the TV set.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside


Walking home tonight in the falling snow, I was miserable. It was so goddamn cold I couldn't feel my fingers or my toes. My thighs were in pain, frozen to the bone. I cursed with every step I took, stomping on slippery sidewalks.

In the midst of my gloom, I passed a couple duet-ing “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” on the top of their lungs. My initial reaction was, ya think?! Tell me something I don't know!!!!! 

I didn't actually say that out loud. 

Thing was, they actually had decent voices and were kind of totally adorable holding hands, singing together as they strolled along.

I could still hear them several blocks away. Suddenly, my bad day didn’t seem so terrible. I smiled. Then I laughed. I couldn’t stop laughing. I burst into hysterics, walking alone in the empty street.

I turned my face up to the snow. Giant flakes stung my cheeks before melting down my face, dripping onto my scarf, rolling down my neck. Flakes froze to my eyebrows, stained my leather boots, soaked my coat. I stuck my tongue out and caught a few for fun, grinning into the light of the street lamp.

The wind picked up, but I slowed my pace. You’re living in Brooklyn, Jenny, I thought. Get over your whining and look around you!

My day wasn't much fun, my head aches, my feet are sore. But, baby, it’s not that cold outside, so suck it up and smile. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment