I think we're at our best by the flicker by the light of the TV set.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Taylor Swift: She's the Best Thing That's Ever Been Mine

The queen of country/pop crossover songs released a new single last week introducing a more mature side of herself.

"Mine" is like a grown-up version of "Love Story" with less fairytale, more reality. This time around Taylor's singing about college boys, bills to pay and a drawer of her thing's at his place. Miss Swift, are you implying you're spending the night? My, my, my how things change! So scandalous. I love it.

Swift also expresses her fear of falling in love. Once again she suckers me in, feels like my best friend and squeezes my pathetic heart 'til it feels like it's about to burst. She's scared to give in, to trust this guy with her heart, scared he doesn't feel the same. I'm scared of love, too, Taylor! You aren't in this alone!


"Mine" is a perfect pop tune - undeniably catchy and sweet with a chorus you don't (read: can't) want to stop singing. And of course the song has just enough twang to qualify as "country." It's been stuck in my head since I first heard it and folks, I'm totally, 100% OK with that.

Naturally, "Mine" confirmed Swift's super-stardom. The single instantly became the top downloaded song on iTunes and debuted at #3 on Billboard's Top 100. Surely it will stay there for weeks...and weeks...and weeks.

Taylor's upcoming third album - "Speak Now" - is due for release October 25th. Until then, I guarantee I'll be singing "Mine" at least twice a day along with every other female in the world ages 12 - 35(?).

Oh, Taylor, you're the best thing that's ever been mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment