I think we're at our best by the flicker by the light of the TV set.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Nickelodeon Star Regrettably Melts My Heart

Picture this: Yesterday I'm cruising down the street in my little red Hyundai, windows down, hair blowing, sunglasses perched on my nose. I switch on the radio and treat my ears to a sweet, pop voice singing the most adorable lyrics about being in love and kissing and whatnot. I'm immediately into it and turn the volume way up. The song is making me feel like I'm in love and who doesn't want to feel that way?! The chorus totally kills me: "'Cause when I'm kissing you/My senses come alive/Almost like the puzzle piece/I've been trying to find/Falls right into place/You're all that it takes/My doubts fade away/When I'm kissing you..." Icky pop goo = melt my pathetic heart ADORABLE!

I've got to know who sings this song because I need to download it for immediate access. I grab my iPhone and open Shazam - a nifty, free app that recognizes songs, supplying you with the artist, title and option to purchase. As I waited for Shazam to process the tune, I couldn't stop smiling. "This song is awesome!" I yell at my steering wheel, as I was driving alone.

Thank goodness I was driving alone because in a quick moment my happy mood turned sullen. To my snooty pop culture horror, Shazam beeped and Miranda Cosgrove appeared on the screen of my phone. MIRANDA COSGROVE. As in iCarly. She's like 14!

Ok, she's 16, but big diff. I don't care how sweet this song is, how catchy the melody... I can't like a song by Miranda Cosgrove! But I do. Oh, I do. Forgive me, pop culture gods. Forgive me and then kill me. Put me out of my misery.



In all seriousness, I have to give the girl some credit. When is the last time a teen pop icon erupted from the Nickelodeon world? Looks to me like Cosgrove is giving Demi Levato, Selena Gomez and that trashy trash trash Miley Cyrus a run for their money. Her hit show on Nick more often than not kills in ratings and repeatedly beats Hannah Montana. She recently signed a new deal with the network that will pay her SEVEN FIGURES to film 26 more iCarly episodes. Eat that, Miley.

In my expert opinion, Cosgrove has always been in a league of her own. She's been set apart from the above mentioned Disney princesses ever since her breakthrough role as Summer Hathaway alongside Jack Black in School of Rock. At the ripe young age of 10, the sassy pants actress told the fake Mr. Schneebly that she would not be a groupie: "I researched groupies on the internet. They're sluts! They sleep with the band!" Thatta girl.

So there ya go. I do believe I've defended Miranda enough to forgive myself for loving her latest single. Excuse me while I go download "Kissin' U". Take a listen for yourself and let me know how long it takes before you manage to get it out of your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment